Finishing Trades Institute of the Upper Midwest is an educational institute dedicated to developing professional tradespeople, advancing their skills, and certifying their qualifications in the Upper Midwest.
Our diverse, inclusive programming provides lucrative, exciting career pathways for high school students, seasoned workers, and everyone in between. Our strong relationships with local employers provide networking opportunities at every stage of our alumni’s careers.
Since its founding in 2004, the school has grown significantly:
- 2010 – The Coating Application Specialist program was developed.
- 2014 – FTIUM went through accreditation with the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
- 2015 – The Sign Technician program was developed.
- 2017 – The Associate of Applied Science in Construction Technologies degree was created for all union members.
- 2021 – FTIUM received institutional distance education approval from the COE to hold classes online to effectively offer the Associate of Applied Science in Construction Technologies degree to all District Council members.
- 2021 – FTIUM partnered with Helena College in Helena, Montana to offer FTIUM apprenticeships and degrees for union employees in Montana.